Saturday, September 4, 2010

Favorite Artists: Burne Hogarth


Along with Andrew Loomis, Burne Hogarth has to be one of the best anatomy instructors you can find. He practically defined the word, Dynamic with his drawing books. Besides his Dynamic Library, Hogarth is best known for his comic adaptations of Edgar Rice Burrough's Tarzan. The way his figures are built are just so simple to understand, and easy to follow. Every aspect of his style is just plain Dynamic (I hate to use the same word more than once, but you'll find that it's very appropriate). I don't have much else to say about the guy, but the addition of his books to my collection have vastly helped me to improve with my own artwork.

Here's some amazon links to his books, if anyone's interested.
Dynamic Figure Drawing

Drawing Dynamic Hands

Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery

Drawing the Human Head

Dynamic Light and Shade

Now you know why I used that word so much.


1 comment:

  1. I agree. Loomis and Hogarth are the most talented illustrators of the last century.
    Imagine the things they would have been capable of if they had had Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete